Wednesday, July 2, 2008

Interesting observation by Jack

PGA Tour Being Overtaken?

There’s no doubt that Geoff Ogilvy is playing well lately. He won the US Open recently and came damn close this year as well.

And you know what? I believe he’s as solid as they come.

But there are others out there that are saying he’s just a lucky guy playing well in all those majors and he’s a “right place,
right-time” kind of guy…kind of undermining his accomplishments.

But let’s broach a larger topic of a trend I see on Tour lately that I’m sure you’ve noticed as well…

Are the Aussies taking charge of the PGA Tour?

Must be something in the water down under but whatever it is, it makes for good golf and has caused quite a clamor in the industry. It seems every weekend we see Stuart Appleby, Adam Scott, Robert Allenby and many other Aussies dominating the tournaments. And I know many of you enjoy watching these guys light it up as well.

Why are they so successful lately?

They’ve been known to focus hard on the fundamentals of the game and have a history of dedication to their craft. They take their jobs seriously and not only want to perform well but to excel at what they do.

And it’s fun to watch. But…there may be a common thread to their success…

To the Touring pros, it’s no secret amongst that a lot of the Aussies use a simple training aid to hone their swings both on tour and when at home. The company that manufactures it is based there and have spent a lot of development and training time with the Aussie pros.

I won’t get into it too much because you can read about it yourself here.

I told a small group of you last year about my experiment with this training aid because I had been struggling with proper lower body movement, sequence (hips before arms, etc.), timing and balance.

This ridiculously easy mechanism helped me with all those difficult things and ingrains them as more natural for my swing.

But a word of caution…it’s not for everybody. Nevertheless, I thought you should know about it considering it’s one of the Tour’s best kept secrets.

If you’re more of a “visual” person, check out the video with Ian Baker Finch.

Let me know what you think about the Aussie trend folks. I know many of you reading this live down under so please weigh in!

Fairways and greens (and one-putts),

Jack

No comments: