Friday, July 4, 2008

Newsletter by Tiger Woods

July 3, 2008

By Tiger Woods

I had hoped to be at Congressional Country Club on Wednesday to participate in the opening ceremony at the AT&T National. Unfortunately, I was unable to attend because of my recent knee surgery, but the week got off to a great start when the 101st Airborne Screaming Eagles landed on the first tee to deliver golf balls from around the world. They'd already been hit by soldiers in Germany, Japan, The United Kingdom, Iraq and Afghanistan.

The balls were delivered by the Screaming Eagles to Fred Couples and 25 kids whose parents are actively serving in the military. Two of the children, Maggie Rollins and Jeff Dahl hit the first shot with Freddie. Jeff's father is a member of the Army Special Forces, and Maggie's father just returned from a tour of duty in Iraq. Fred didn't hesitate to step in and help out in my place and hit the first shot with the kids. Thanks to Freddie for his support.

My thanks to Nike Golf for donating the balls and drivers used by the soldiers.

All professionals received challenge coins featuring one of the five branches of the U.S. Military and the AT&T National. Each day of the tournament, another will be handed out, meaning if you make the cut, you receive all five. We think they are pretty cool keepsakes.

Obviously, it's very disappointing that I'm not there. I missed playing the Buick Open in Flint, Michigan, and I am unable to fulfill my role as tournament host this week. Being laid up at home and watching on TV is no fun, but those are the cards right now, and I just have to deal with it.

I do want to offer my sincere thanks to AT&T, all the members at Congressional Country Club, the volunteers, the military, the fans, Freddie and the other 120 professionals who are competing this week for the $1,080,000 first prize. Not a bad way to spend your 4th of July and I wish I was there fighting with the guys.

I have been told the board of directors at Congressional have recommended to the membership that the tournament be extended through 2017. I couldn't be more excited. I have already said I would like our tournament to be there in perpetuity, and I hope the membership feels the same. We really have all the elements in place for a great event: a fantastic course, in our nation's capitol, on our nation's birthday. The stars couldn't get aligned any better.

As you probably know, I had reconstructive surgery on my left knee after winning the U.S. Open. I'm not sure how I got through the week, but it was definitely the biggest win of my pro career. Special thanks to my wife Elin, daughter Sam, trainer Keith Kleven, swing coach Hank Haney, and surgeons Dr. Thomas D. Rosenberg and Vernon J. Cooley for all their support and help.

I'm wearing a full leg brace and will be on crutches for a few weeks. To be honest, I'm not sure when my rehabilitation will start. I can't put weight on my leg yet. These are the longest days - it feels like a 38-hour day.

That's it for now. Time to ice my knee.

Thanks to all my fans for your well-wishes and support. Have a happy and safe July 4th and I'll recap the AT&T National with you next week.

Tiger

No comments: